Adsense

Friday, April 8, 2016

In The Blood

Yes I have been missing from this blog for a couple of weeks, I think. And missing reading. We are well into spring here, which has generated spring cleaning during all free time. You know, clearing out weeds, leaves from flower beds, bringing out the patio furniture etc. I have not been able to read much and that is really not making me happy.

I found myself sitting in the middle of the yard on a chair, standing or sitting guard, as my husband was power washing the upstairs "just in case something happens, you stay there". As I sat there looking around, I said to myself, "Hey you could be reading", ran and got my book and finished:

In the Blood (Genealogical Crime Mystery #1) by Steve Robinson

21485655

Here's the book description:

"Two hundred years ago a loyalist family fled to England to escape the American War of Independence and seemingly vanished into thin air. American genealogist Jefferson Tayte is hired to find out what happened, but it soon becomes apparent that a calculated killer is out to stop him.
In the Blood combines a centuries-old mystery with a present-day thriller that brings two people from opposite sides of the Atlantic together to uncover a series of carefully hidden crimes. Tayte's research centres around the tragic life of a young Cornish girl, a writing box, and the discovery of a dark secret that he believes will lead him to the family he is looking for. Trouble is, someone else is looking for the same answers and will stop at nothing to find them."

My best friend Kathy recommended this to me last month. My other hobby is genealogy. I have traced my ancestors back to late 1400's on one side and early 1600's on the other side. And I watch all of those family tree shows. So this was a good book for me.

Jeff is hired by Walter Sloane to find more information on the his ancestors. When Jeff hits a "brick wall", Sloane insists he go to England and search over there. Well, Jeff is afraid of flying. But there is an unusual sense of urgency by Sloane. Jeff makes it to England, checks into a bed and breakfast and starts right off to find the Fairborne family that lives in England. No one really wants to talk to James. He is knocked out on his first visit to the Fairborne's and wakes up to a note basically telling him to mind his own business. The records about the family in the historical center have been stolen. His search leads him to Ferryman House, where Amy Fallon lives and runs a ferry service. Her husband went missing over a year ago, when he went out fishing. Work men have found an old writing box during renovations. Seems others are interested in this box. What is the connection?

The story goes back and forth from the story of the Fairborne family in England in the 1700's to Jeff's search which he continues despite, a murder, a kidnapping and someone trying to kill him.

It's a quite a page turner and I loved the historical fiction. The story goes from 1784 to present day. Without saying too much, I will tell you that it involves something devious that you probably thought only goes on today in the modern world of technology. I was surprised to think that may have happened hundreds of years ago, with even worse outcomes.

Can Jeff unweave this centuries old mystery?


There are a total of five books in this genealogical mystery series. And I hear each one is better than the last.


No comments:

Post a Comment